[WikiEN-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia Community

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 21:55:50 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dismissal of your conclusions and evidence is not the same as rudeness. A
> little faith? Are you kidding me? Broad claims such as the ones you make are
> not something I take on faith, and in case you've forgotten, AGF doesn't
> apply to statistical data. You're the only person that I've seen to date
> suggest that involvement in en-wiki is waning.

A number of Wikipedians have pointed out the changes (starting around
a year ago) that en-wiki has gone through:

Among others, see:
http://www.andrewlih.com/blog/2007/09/10/two-million-english-wikipedia-articles-celebrate/
http://www.andrewlih.com/blog/2007/06/28/wikipedia-plateau/
http://ragesossscholar.blogspot.com/2007/03/watershed-in-history-of-wikipedia.html
http://original-research.blogspot.com/2007/03/is-wikipedia-approaching-barrier.html

I actually found Robert's conclusions much less surprising than he did
(perhaps because he is just back from an extended break, while I and
others have been watching this happen for a while).

-Sage