[WikiEN-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia Community

Moe Epsilon moe_epsilon at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 19:51:19 UTC 2007

I wouldn't doubt that growth of the site is waning. How much more can an already-popular website expotentially grow? Think about it, Wikipedia is currently in the top 8(?) most popular websites on the Earth. There's not too many internet users that don't know already about Wikipedia's existance in some way. Unless theres a sudden burst of popularity in the media like the Essjay incident or the Edit to the Chris Benoit article that made headlines, I don't expect Wikipedia to actually increase in popularity anymore than it already has. Wikipedia had a meteoric rise from 2003 to 2006/07, maybe the level of popularity has just stabilized, it happens to all sites eventually.

Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:

  Dismissal of your conclusions and evidence is not the same as rudeness. A
little faith? Are you kidding me? Broad claims such as the ones you make are
not something I take on faith, and in case you've forgotten, AGF doesn't
apply to statistical data. You're the only person that I've seen to date
suggest that involvement in en-wiki is waning.