[WikiEN-l] Meta-discussion: Groupthink

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:50:28 UTC 2007

On 22/11/2007, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Daniel R. Tobias" wrote
>
> > I find it interesting, and a little distressing, that there seems to be a
> > "groupthink" phenomenon on this list (and also sometimes on Wikipedia
> > itself).
>
> I don't think "Wikipedia" and "groupthink" belong in the same sentence. The only common ground you could find on WP is "there is work to do"; and that doesn't count as common ground on wikien.

WIkipedia has groupthink. That doesn't mean it is a common ground, as
groupthink can be confined to a small group of powerful individuals
and still be more powerful than the others. That is not to say that
all things on wikipedia are governed though groupthink dominated
processes, but at least some are.

Peter