[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:08:54 UTC 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 5:39 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ultimately, disagreements among sufficiently knowledgeable people come
> about
> due to lack of shared values. If you don't agree with the core values of
> the
> wikipedia, why are you here?

Lack of agreement that comes down to core values is one of the ways true
trolls self-identify.

This issue, however, is regarding less core values.

The rest of the Internet has agreed on spoiler tags on stuff.  Wikipedia, of
course, does not need to do it the way everyone else does.  Wikipedia is not
at all like most of the rest of the Web in terms of our information goals.

However, the overwhelming prevalence of doing it that way "out there" argues
that those of you who want to remove the tags here at least need to extend
good faith more consistently than you sometimes have, and perhaps should
work harder to try and put together a policy to put through consensus review
rather than trying to sneak it in the back door.

Your apparent assumption of bad faith regarding Ken in the email I'm
responding to here is rather disturbing.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com