[WikiEN-l] an ED article (was Featured Editors?)

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:40:12 UTC 2007

On 11/15/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Sorry, but I absolutely do not accept that lack of an article on ED
> is any kind of a problem at all.
>
> Not only is it a site of no obvious significance, anyone who wants
> to find out about it can do so at the only place that actually gives
> a shit, which is ED itself.

Well, I'm not saying it's deletion was wrong-- I wasn't involved in
it, so I'm totally going to accept that it was the appropriate
response at the time.  If it's not notable, it's not notable, what can
ya do?  Our content policies are our content policies-- we can't bend
them just to combat the false impression that we're being suppressive.

I'm just saying, the project will come off looking a whole lot better
when or if ED is mentioned in enough reliable sources that we are able
to write an article about it.   Having an article would be one more
piece of ammunition we can steal from the critics and turn to an
advantage.  Anyone who showed up accusing of us of suppressing our
critics would have a giant shiny article we could point to where we
could say "Oh yea??  well what is THAT article doing here then?"

But, as good as that would look,  the decision to have or not have
such an article should be made completely independent from
"Wikipolitical" concerns-- which is why I haven't nominated a deletion
review, or indeed, even made up my mind whether a reasonable article
could have been written about ED.  I've never been to closely involved
in deletion debates, if I started the recreation myself,  it'd be
guilty of "improving wikipedia to prove a point" which itself is a
problem.

I'm just saying-- the day when an ED article can exist here while
complyign with WP:V will be one that is very very good for Wikipedia,
and I'll be happy when or if that time comes, as one more sign that
our strength as an encyclopedia that we can neurtally cover
EVERYTHING-- even those who attack us.  Writing the fairest, most
objective article possible on ED would be the Wiki equivalent of
turning the other cheek.

Alec