[WikiEN-l] Pakistani politicians and systemic bias

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:44:48 UTC 2007

> > Here's a problem, though: there is a tendency to assume bad faith on
> > the part of deleting admins, and not to address bad speedy tagging
> > by RC patrollers.  I completely support any initiative to educate
> > those who patrol recent changes, to persuade them to make better use
> > of {{prod}} and {{afd}} rather than {{db}}.
>
> Whoa. The admins are hand-picked. Anyone who can get online can come and start adding templates. Admins are picked just because they can be trusted with "delete" and other tools. The correct decisions for an admin with a suspect speedy range over "pass" or "not a speedy, I'll take off the tag". They do not include "if I don't delete within 30 seconds, no one ever will, so here goes".

Very true. The buck stops with the deleting admin, every time. Sure,
we should try and educate non-admins on what does and does not qualify
for speedy deletion, but it's an unattainable goal. If we could
achieve it, we could do away with admins and give the tools to
everyone. As it stands, we know we can't trust all non-admins to know
what they're doing, so we only allow admins to delete.