[WikiEN-l] Punished by Rewards?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 07:00:16 UTC 2007

On 11/6/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:

> Given the small number of actual transactions, it looks like it was
> never very popular. It's interesting to me that even this wasn't a
> top-down approach, unlike a lot of more common reward systems. But it
> does have another characteristic that the "Punished by Rewards" author
> warns against, which is using rewards to manipulate others for your own
> ends.
>
> Looks like it has a lot in common with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bounty except that the latter is
pretty much a system of barter (I'll write your FA if you write mine),
rather than a general economy.

I don't think they're really "reward" systems as much as they are a way of
making social contacts and getting a bit of variety in one's editing. Or at
least they should be viewed that way...

Steve