[WikiEN-l] Punished by Rewards?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:01:03 UTC 2007

On 2007.11.05 08:41:21 -0600, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> scribbled 0 lines:
> Inflation -- Would there be a finite amount, or would it be printed at
> will like the U.S. Mint does? If it ever is "worth something" would it
> become less so, when more of it exists?
>
> [1] MONOPOLY(R) is a registered trademark of Hasbro, Inc.
> [2] Of course I meant monetary interest, as in money awarded for
> already having a lot of money, but psychological interest might also
> be worth considering -- questions like whether this actually make
> people more likely to contribute, or whether the wacky logistics of a
> system like this, particularly if enough people took it seriously,
> would cause others to quit in disgust.
>
> Food for thought, bring your own fork (vague pun intended, maybe).
>
> —C.W.

(Disclaimer: I don't think this would actually be useful in any hypothetical Wikipedia economy, I'm just mentioning it because I find it a really interesting topic).

You can actually devise digital cash schemes where one can prove the validity of the cash and also that only a limited amount has been issued, based on proof of work schemes - I like Nick Szabo's 'bit gold' idea myself, <http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2005/12/bit-gold.html>.

--
gwern
SUN Pox DDR&E HAMASMOIS NIMA Trade SFPD FBI DOE warrantless