[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 20:32:40 UTC 2007

On 06/11/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 10:52 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We shouldn't be templating ANYONE. It's a bureaucratic "go away."
> >
> > (The usual response to pointing this out is "but I can't possibly keep
> > up with the flood of responses otherwise." To which the response is
> > "so don't.")
>
> English Wikipedia is already serving more than _a million_ 'damaged'
> page views per-day*.  I'm personally a bit tired of browsing Wikipedia
> being shock image roulette.

Not even browsing, sometimes.

An aside...

Sometime in late December last year, we served up something on the
order of 30,000 full-page images of a mutilated penis, on the -
protected - front page. (You can even see the momentary blip in the
traffic stats - I have a screenshot somewhere) We responded to that
one about as quickly as reasonable - under a few minutes - but we
still no doubt caused a good deal of discomfort to unsuspecting
readers... frankly, I'm amazed we didn't get more flak over it.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk