[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 17:28:37 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 06/11/2007, joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:
>
>> We have a general guideline about not templating the regulars. I'd
>> suggest that
>> that might be a good rule in many cases where the people aren't regulars.
>> Templates can come across as very impersonal abd BITEy.
>

> We shouldn't be templating ANYONE. It's a bureaucratic "go away."
>
> (The usual response to pointing this out is "but I can't possibly keep
> up with the flood of responses otherwise." To which the response is
> "so don't.")
>

> - d.

The primary role of the welcome is, I think, informing the newcomers of
the community expectations.

When I look at the current template, I think it is rather good, but I
find interesting that the most important expectations we are mentionning
on the talk page of the newcomers are about "naming conventions" or
"manual of style".

Other expectations, such as code of conduct or consensus building, are
only mentionned on a second page, where the newcomer will have to go.
Note that I like the five pillars page very much. It is bright, concise,
to the point.

ant