[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Nov 2 01:20:10 UTC 2007

> Alec Conroy wrote:
>> There is now an ever-growing consensus that BADSITES is rejected, and
>> that linking  to "badsites' for encyclopedic purposes is permissible
>> in some circumstances.
>
> Setting aside the question of the block for a moment, I'm curious about
> the incident that triggered the block.
>
> If I understand rightly, [[Robert Black (professor)]] is a respected
> Scottish law prof who is from Lockerbie, who has taken a great interest
> in the Lockerbie case, and was involved in setting up the Lockerbie
> trials of the Libyan agents.

> blog to discuss it. We briefly mentioned the blog and added a link to
> it. That link stayed in place until a few days ago, when he gave a
> one-sentence mention of the allegations that SV "systematically altered"
>  the Wikipedia Lockerbie articles, mentioning what some claim is her
> true  name. He doesn't claim that they are true, just that they are
> interesting.

Here's some more garbage from the page the respected professor linked to:

"The most curious reaction to the news of SlimVirgin's identity was
demonstrated by the English-language media: apart from personal blogs and
web forums, not a single word appeared in any of the major media! Previous
scandals such the Seigenthaler case, exposing Essjay, and the WikiScanner
program by Virgil Griffith, received wide coverage. But there was silence
about SlimVirgin, comparable to the silence on classic themes such as UFOs
and the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

This year such themes have been completely ignored by major media, even
when new light is shed on these twentieth-century mysteries. First the
famous E. Howard Hunt, who personally participated in many covert
operations during the 1950s and 1960s, admitted before he died that the
assassination of President Kennedy was organized by U.S. intelligence, in
conjunction with the Mafia and top administration officials, headed by
Vice-President Lyndon Johnson. Several months later a notarized deathbed
confession by Walter Haut was published. In 1947 he was the public
relations officer at the 509th Bomb Group based in Roswell, New Mexico.
First he composed a press release about the crash of a flying disc, and
soon followed with a new release about a weather balloon. For the rest of
his life he gave evasive explanations of what was really found, but just
before he died he dared to tell the truth. In the document he left behind,
Walter Haut states that he not only saw the wrecked spacecraft, but also
the bodies of aliens recovered from it. They had unusually large heads,
and bodies the size of a ten-year-old child. It is clear that the deathbed
confessions of people who participated in these extraordinary events
deserve serious attention. But the major media ignored both of them.

Moreover, the sensational confession of E. Howard Hunt did not even get
any space in Wikipedia's article on the assassination of John F. Kennedy
(at least it is mentioned in the article on E. Howard Hunt). The
confession of Walter Haut is reflected in the article about the Roswell
incident, but it lacks a direct reference to the document published on the
web. Thus, the conclusion: for important Wikipedia articles, the content
is gradually approaching the official information available from
traditional sources. It is more or less understandable who is behind this.
Everyone must decide for himself or herself whether this is acceptable."

How about them apples...? I've always wondered about that disc business.

Fred