[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Nov 1 23:25:48 UTC 2007

On 11/1/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> He has published defamatory information when he admits he's not sure it is
> valid. Why would we link to defamatory information?

While your point may be valid in this particular case (I don't know,
since no one has linked to the article, and I haven't yet bothered to
look it up), making such a general and overreactionary statement is
uncalled for.  There are plenty of situations when it makes sense to
link to defamatory statements, situations in which the fact that the
statement was made is itself notable.

And beyond that, who's to determine what constitutes defamation?  And
how are they supposed to determine it without someone linking to it?
I hope I misread your statement and you're not seriously suggesting
that linking to defamatory information is never OK.