[WikiEN-l] And now for a word on trivial BLPs

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Wed May 30 16:54:17 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:26:21 +0100, "Violet/Riga"
> <violetriga at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >But try and find them from multiple sources two months down the line -
> not
> >so easy.  However, news stories remain.
>
> Not a terribly good argument - the source is identical.  On Wednesday
> 30 May, 2007, the weather in London was overcast with light rain.
> Source: The Times, BBC, Capital Radio, Radio London, Evening
> Standard... all of which will are citeable as sources, some of which
> will be available online and perhaps indexed.
>
> If we could drop the hyperbole for a minute, Doc has a serious and
> valid point.  News stories about an incident do not make the victims
> of that incident notable.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladbroke_Grove_rail_crash - very notable.
> Survivors?  Mostly not.
>
> Let's draw a distinction between information and knowledge;
> information about the dates of birth of victims does not increase our
> knowledge of the world we live in, does it?  In many cases merging the
> significant cases to the relevant incident is a good start.  In
> others... well, maybe we should leave some of this to WikiNews.
>
> Guy (JzG)
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Yes, nothing false about Doc's analogy.  California lottery numbes and the
weather in the Bay Area are reported in the Los Angeles Times, the
Chronicle, the Oakland Tribune, the San Diego papers, the Reno papers, and
the Bay Area weather is reported in hundreds of papers all over the world
and on weather sites on the web--plenty of nontrivial sites.

We should probably leave a lot of it to Wiki and other news.

KP