[WikiEN-l] And now for a word on trivial BLPs

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Wed May 30 16:15:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:26:21 +0100, "Violet/Riga"
<violetriga at gmail.com> wrote:

>But try and find them from multiple sources two months down the line - not
>so easy.  However, news stories remain.

Not a terribly good argument - the source is identical.  On Wednesday
30 May, 2007, the weather in London was overcast with light rain.
Source: The Times, BBC, Capital Radio, Radio London, Evening
Standard... all of which will are citeable as sources, some of which
will be available online and perhaps indexed.

If we could drop the hyperbole for a minute, Doc has a serious and
valid point.  News stories about an incident do not make the victims
of that incident notable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladbroke_Grove_rail_crash - very notable.
Survivors?  Mostly not.

Let's draw a distinction between information and knowledge;
information about the dates of birth of victims does not increase our
knowledge of the world we live in, does it?  In many cases merging the
significant cases to the relevant incident is a good start.  In
others... well, maybe we should leave some of this to WikiNews.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG