[WikiEN-l] Paul Taylor

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue May 29 02:06:02 UTC 2007

Cheney Shill wrote:
> As Stephen Colbert said in an interview with Wikipedia
> founder Jimmy Wales:
> "What I love about it is that it brings democracy to
> information.  For too long, the elites that study things
> got to say what is or isn't real." - The Colbert Report,
> 2007.05.24

Colbert has a point here. We surely do have crap like that.

But I think this is massively outweighed by the inverse effect. By
putting power in the hands of the people, those people are having to
confront issues and and learn skills that previously were the domain of
the elite. The pyramid becomes wider. Not that Wikipedia is new in this;
as far as I can tell things have been moving in this direction since
Gutenberg.

Further, that crap is exactly what draws people in. Back before anybody
had heard of Wikipedia, I was persuading my clients to use wikis as
intranets. My number one trick for getting involvement was putting in
mistakes: typos, formatting errors, and obvious omissions of
information. Nobody would touch a finished-looking page. But give them
something they could fix *right now* and they were hooked.

Heck, that's what hooked me. One minor fix three years ago, and now my
favorite video game is CAT:CSD. Speaking of which, it was down to 15
speedy requests before I came to catch up on my mail, and now it's back
up to 50. Onward! :-)

William