[WikiEN-l] On living bios and the rest of the world

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun May 27 22:28:53 UTC 2007

Anecdotally: I was down the pub tonight talking to regular humans who
aren't Wikipedians about the vexed minor living bio issue. Like, they
use it and know what it is and how it works and that it's written by
nerds with too much time and so forth, but aren't regulars in any way.

And I think our hardline policy on BLPs is absolutely what the world
would want. The incidents themselves have to be *notable*, not just
verifiable. A carefully researched piece of footnoted crusading
journalism may be noble, but it's NOT Wikipedia. Having an article in
someone's name is a curse, because our page rank puts it straight at
the top of Google. Etc.

They all got this, immediately. In just the way the people on wiki
being querulous about BLPs don't.

I mean, I don't know if we can give Doc glasgow a medal for dealing
with this rubbish so well on a continuing basis, but we should see if
there's a way to.

- d.