[WikiEN-l] Original research: our secret pleasure?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat May 26 21:12:39 UTC 2007

Jeff Raymond wrote:
> Ken Arromdee wrote:
>
>> Well, a common, similar, case is popular culture articles in general, but
>> most of them have a loophole: a movie, book, etc. is itself a source for its
>> own content.  Using a pinball machine in a similar way is, of course, original
>> research, but it's also an excellent example of how Ignore All Rules applies
>> to anything, even original research.
>>
> [...]The answer, of course, is to adjust the original research policy to
> allow for such reasonable situations, not simply rely on IAR to muddle
> through.

Another option is to say that the rules are what we look to when we
disagree over whether or not the article is good, or at least adequate.
If there is no disagreement, then the article stands. Otherwise, we can
start going through the rules, which can be looked at as a catalog of
thinking about problems we've had a lot.

Personally, I feel that the rules we have, like the parts on an
airplane, should be the minimum number necessary to achieve the goal.
Anything else slows us down. Personally, until their's a problem, I'd
rather leave WP:OR untouched. I think that Ken's case of rules-lawyer
vandals is better solved by judicious application of [[WP:DICK]] rather
than adding more rules.

William