[WikiEN-l] Original research: our secret pleasure?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat May 26 21:10:55 UTC 2007

Jeff Raymond wrote:
> The difference is that a book/album/movie is published in a way that
> observing a machine isn't.

A common "middle ground" along this spectrum would be computer games,
which are published in the way of books and such but which are played in
the manner of a mechanical pinball game (and are often much more
complex). It is very common in Wikipedia to use computer games as
primary sources, so the requirement that they be "played" is evidently
not a major concern.

> The answer, of course, is to adjust the original research policy to
> allow for such reasonable situations, not simply rely on IAR to muddle
> through.

Indeed. I'm not sure what real difference there should be, from a
wikilegalistic perspective, between a pinball machine with a
manufacturing run of a thousand and a book with a publishing run of a
thousand.