[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Fri May 25 15:03:49 UTC 2007

I think my prior interpretation of BLP may have been unduly expansive.

With respect to Wikipedia:No original research, Wikipedia:Verifiability, and Wikipedia:Neutral point of view there is firm longstanding consensus dating from the founding of the project. A transient consensus overruling those fundamental policies in a particular case is not valid and will not be effective.

Likewise we will not permit potentially libelous material to remain in an article. We term it poorly sourced controversial information, but bottom line, not only is there potential legal liability, but it is wrong. With respect to articles such as about the complaining witness in the Duke La Cross case, Neutral point of view conflicts with Verifiability as we have no way to round out such an article as the only published material is negative. Resolution of the conflict is difficult and results will vary with the situation.

Fred