[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed May 23 16:36:51 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On 5/23/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 23 May 2007, Anthony wrote:
> > > As long as {{spoiler}} continues to read "Spoiler warning: Plot or
> > ending
> > > details follow.", people are going to continue to use the tag any time
> > plot
> > > or ending details follow.  In fact, my anecdotal evidence is that most
> > of
> > > the {{spoiler}} tags I come across are applied wholesale to an entire
> > plot
> > > section.
> >
> > The solution to this is to reword the spoiler warning, not to eliminate
> > it.
> > How about
> >
> > "Spoiler warning: plot or ending details follow that some readers may
> > not wish
> > to see".
> >
> > Almost the same, but nobody is likely to put that on the Three Little
> > Pigs.
>

> "Spoiler warning: plot twists or surprise endings follow" is less wordy
> and accomplishes the same thing.  I'd support the change, but I think it'd
> be hard to make such a change stick, since it'd instantly cause a ton of
> articles to contain inaccurate warnings.

But oh, by the way, simply knowing that a movie has a surprise ending is
sometimes enough to ruin it.  I know my experience in watching The Sixth
Sense was ruined simply because I knew there was a twist in the movie, and
so I found it easy to figure out what the twist was very early on (actually,
I spent most of the movie debating with myself if what was the twist really
was the twist, or if everyone else knew what I knew too).