[WikiEN-l] School Districts and notability

Will Beback will.beback.1 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:32:50 UTC 2007

Christopher G. Parham wrote:
> On 5/22/2007 5:27 PM, Andrew Gray wrote:
>
>> I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need to think about
>> maintainability in a concrete sense as well as "notability" in an
>> abstract one. If an article is going to need maintenance, but it isn't
>> going to get it, it becomes a net liability to the project...
>>
> If maintenance is the problem, it would seem that tools like
> semi-protection would be more useful than deletion. If an article
> (school or not) is clearly poorly monitored, and is prone to receiving
> damaging vandalism (especially of the BLP/personal attack variety), I
> wouldn't be at all opposed to semi-protection in that case.
>
> --Chris

I've been wanting to stop watching school articles and that's increased
my concern over the state of school article maintenance.  I watch about
250 schools, but most of the vandalism occurs to perhaps 10% of those.
So most of my involvement is with the worst problems.

I just looked at a few dozen random school articles, including stubs and
uncategorized articles,  and I found less vandalism than I expected. The
problem may be more limited to individual schools than I'd thought,
perhaps based on factors such as having a computer lab. I did see many
articles with sourcing, POV, and balance problems, but that's par for
the course.

On the whole, it looks as if the school articles are not as bad as they
were a year or two ago. While sometimes criticized, the school project
folks have apparently made an enormous difference.

Will Beback