[WikiEN-l] School Districts and notability

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed May 23 08:48:43 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 22/05/07, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The real problem we have on Wikipedia with school articles, in my
>>opinion, is the amount of vandalism they receive relative to the number
>>of editors repairing them. Since school-aged kids are a main source of
>>vandalism this isn't a surprise. However since this vandalism often
>>takes the form of derogatory remarks about living people it's a serious
>>matter. Reducing the number of school articles which aren't being
>>watched would help.
>>

>I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need to think about
>maintainability in a concrete sense as well as "notability" in an
>abstract one. If an article is going to need maintenance, but it isn't
>going to get it, it becomes a net liability to the project...

What is adequate maintenance.  When I recently went through my
district's schools to see what was happening (39 elementary + 11
secondary) the two instances of what might be considered anything like
traditional vandalism were both at high schools.  I suspect that
elementary schools may be less vandal prone than secondaries, because
the kids there are just not on the internet as much.

Ec