[WikiEN-l] School Districts and notability

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed May 23 05:56:59 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>On 22/05/07, Angela Anuszewski <angela.anuszewski at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Earlier today, I read an old debate about a high school that some
>>considered non-notable until it was pointed out a celebrity graduated
>>from the high school.
>>
>>I like to sometimes hit "random page" and see if there is anything on
>>the particular random page I encounter that can be improved. My random
>>page directed me to [[New_Albany_School_District]]. My earlier reading
>>made me consider whether or not school districts are notable simply
>>because they exist, or some more significant event or achievement
>>should be required to create or retain an article on the subject.
>>

>I'm not convinced there is enough to say about a school district to
>warrant an article. You can list the schools and that's about it. The
>kind of statistics that are on the New Albany article would be better
>in a [[List of school districts in Mississippi]] article where you can
>compare them to other districts. Isolated statistics with no analysis
>are pretty meaningless.

The statistics need to be there before you can compare them with
anything else.. The amount of available information will very
considerably from one district.  OECD studies have shown for the United
States the quality of public education is highly variable even between
neighboring districts in the same state.  Perhaps having information
available about what happens in good districts can inspire the others to
do better.

Here in British Columbia every school is required to produce a
performance plan, and regular reports are produced about student
achievement and satisfaction.  This information is available on line
along with reports of discussions between parents, teachers and
administrators.  There's a tremendous amount of material available if
people know where to look.

Ec