[WikiEN-l] School Districts and notability

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed May 23 05:28:28 UTC 2007

Angela Anuszewski wrote:

>Earlier today, I read an old debate about a high school that some
>considered non-notable until it was pointed out a celebrity graduated
>from the high school.
>
>I like to sometimes hit "random page" and see if there is anything on
>the particular random page I encounter that can be improved. My random
>page directed me to [[New_Albany_School_District]]. My earlier reading
>made me consider whether or not school districts are notable simply
>because they exist, or some more significant event or achievement
>should be required to create or retain an article on the subject.

I find that there is a fundamental flaw in the notion that a school's
notability depends on whether it once was attended by someone famous, or
because it was the site of a spectacularly shameful incident.

In case anyone has forgotten, schools are about education, and what is
important is how they educate our children.

Ec