[WikiEN-l] How to square being welcome with keeping up quality

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:38:54 UTC 2007

If I have time, I've been known to post in a friendly way to their own
talk page (or email if they have it enabled) , making some
custom-fitted suggestions about how they can do better edits, in
addition to taking care of the immediate problem on the article page.
it's sort of an informal WP Adoption. I think it's as important for
the growth of WP as anything else we do.

Similarly, for good faith pages of newbie autobio, I sometimes modify
the template, or write a message instead, and so do quite a number of
other people.  (after deleting the article, of course). The wording of
many of the templates is quite friendly, but the effect can still be
off-putting.

On 5/17/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/07, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > I could go on. Obviously new contributors to articles are welcome -
> > WP:OWN is no good. But, at the same time, fly-bys who know nothing about
> > the subject and are not willing even to stop and think 'what would
> > benefit this particular article? How can it be improved?' - need hit
> > with a cluestick.
>

> Doc makes an excellent point here. We should obviously be welcome to
> newbies, but if they hit an article they know nothing about with an edit,
> policy says you should talk towards a concensus, which, with clueless people
> can be hard to impossible. How are you welcome to people while keeping
> quality of articles up at the same time?
>
> Mgm

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.