[WikiEN-l] [repost] Native American Tribes Policy

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu May 17 01:47:07 UTC 2007

On 16 May 2007 at 17:29, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> While KPB's comments are correct, there is something to what Merkey
> wrote. Wikipedia articles should reflect all major points of view and
> significant facts. Tribal recognition by the U.S. Government is a major
> characteristic of modern Indian tribes.

Certainly... given that this recognition is significant, it should
certainly be noted with respect to any tribes to which it applies,
and none for which it does not, and the policies on requiring
reliable sources for all assertions and not publishing original
research must apply.  But does this require a specific policy
enshrining Federal Indian tribe recognition to special status that
can be enforced onto all aspects of how articles on actual or alleged
tribes must be written and categorized?

On the talk page for that policy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Native_American_Tribes
Merkey makes what I see as an indefensibly ridiculous statement in
support of the proposed policy:

> Next the Native tribes lobby Congress (which most Tribes have
> speed dial lists of all the Congressman and Senators) and pass a
> law called "The Native American Internet Accuracy Act" making it a
> felony for Wikipedia to post ANYTHING about tribes. Don't laugh,
> that's how powerful these tribes are. Jeffrey Vernon Merkey 05:19,
> 9 May 2007 (UTC)
> NOTE. And such a law will withstand challenges under the 1st
> ammendment because it deals with the commerce clause and a
> relationship with a sovereign political entity, and the US Supreme
> Court says, "Congress power to regulate trade with Indian Tribes
> is constitutional in nature and the first ammentmend does not
> apply." Surprise.

Anybody who thinks that Congress would pass, or the Supreme Court
affirm, such a clearly unconstitutional law deserves to be taken away
to a place with padded cells, rather than to be permitted to have any
influence on the development of Wikipedia policy.

--
== Dan ==