[WikiEN-l] not sure what I should do

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:31:26 UTC 2007

> On 5/14/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Hmmmm. True.
> > Well, I do believe it is a bit stupid though. There is not even a legal
> > problem really.

> CC-BY-ND? No but what has that got to do with anything. Our copyright
> policy is more restrictive than the law and rightly so.

Indeed ... it falls outside the Wikimedia copyright policy that
Florence, as chair, ratified.

> > They know their son loved Wikipedia, they
> > were happy that he left a legacy there and the picture is at the same
> > time acceptable but of poor quality.

> So contact them and try and get the photo released under a free
> licence. Or accept that the legacy exists beyond the photo.

Contacting them to relicence the photo would be the most productive angle.

> > I'll let him die a little bit a second time.

Or you could contact them to relicence the photo, rather than working
against the Foundation-wide copyright policy that you as chair
accepted. Then we all win.

- d.