[WikiEN-l] not sure what I should do

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:26:57 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm. True.
> Well, I do believe it is a bit stupid though. There is not even a legal
> problem really.

CC-BY-ND? No but what has that got to do with anything. Our copyright
policy is more restrictive than the law and rightly so.

> I doubt the copyright holders of that picture (hmm,
> parents ?) would complain.

We could steal a lot of photo without people complaining. However
youtube is that way if that is what you want.

> They know their son loved Wikipedia, they
> were happy that he left a legacy there and the picture is at the same
> time acceptable but of poor quality.

So contact them and try and get the photo released under a free
licence. Or accept that the legacy exists beyond the photo.

> If I were just a anthere, I would try to suggest new rules so that every
> user is allowed ONE non free image of himself on his user page :-)

You've just proposed allowing the addition of 4,390,475 unfree images
to wikipedia. No thank you.

> It
> seems to me there should be room for negotiation on such matters.

um unblock-I?

> But a new policy proposed by the chair would cause all sorts of problems
> and messes I am not willing to get in.

Not at all it would be trivial to flat reject it. Short of an outright
board resolution it is not going to happen. Of course en.wikipedia is
not the only wiki managed by the wikimedia foundation. Projects such
as meta appear to have rather different copyright polices.

> I'll let him die a little bit a second time.

You can only die once (ignoring some unsubstantiated reports).
--
geni