[WikiEN-l] not sure what I should do

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Mon May 14 09:24:57 UTC 2007

Florence Devouard wrote:
> this is under cp,  with fairuse rationale.
> (it is orphaned in the main article space of course, Treanna was only famous
> for us - it is linked in two wp articles),

As I understand it, the policy is clear that 'fair-use' can only be used
in the article main-space - since only there can we claim that it is for
educational or fair commentary purposes.

Whilst that may seem unfortunate in this case, I'd point out that to
allow deviation from that rule would open the floodgates to copyright
pictures being used all over userspace - or at least another bout of
incessant wikilawyering to try to open the gates. Especially if an
exception were made for the WMF chair. We are a free encyclopedia - and
that means free.

Bottom line is that this picture is copyright. Morally, there may be no
problem with using it - but legally there is (or at least in the strict
way we are applying the fair-use exception). Further, since it is not
adding to the content of the encyclopedia - I see no real reason for us
to bend over backwards to allow some further exception.

The loss of the picture may be a pain....but finding a way to save it
will cause all sorts of problems.

Doc