[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun May 13 23:42:04 UTC 2007

On 5/13/07, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
> I think you're talking about a list. This has shades of the "WP is not a directory" discussion. I believe in Norway cross-country skiing is favoured over downhill; but just about any country hotel in Norway might be a 'ski resort' in winter? Oh, you want facilities! Well, going back to the NZ article, it sounds mininalist.

Sounds like a defiinitional problem. Resorts have hotels. Hotels are
not resorts. More likely, you could approximate a small mountain
village with a resort/ski area. That's the case for many small
villages in France, and certainly no one is arguing that we avoid
including articles about "non notable" villages.

Wikipedia *is* a directory of certain kinds of things. We have an
article on every single episode of every moderately successful sitcom,
without regard to whether each article is itself "notable". Perfect
example: [[Leonardo Is Caught in the Grip of an Outbreak of Randal's
Imagination and Patrick Swayze Either Does or Doesn't Work in the New
Pet Store]] - what could be less notable than an episode that never
went to air?

I don't believe anything is "inherently notable", as some people put
it, but I do believe we can for practical purposes include articles on
whole categories of things, and just ignore the issue of notability in
the interests of comprehensiveness.

Steve