[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun May 13 16:29:09 UTC 2007

On May 12, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Todd Allen wrote:

> Context. It's the same reason we prohibit POV forks, but might
> perfectly well allow the same information from the POV fork in a
> comprehensive article that presents all sides. If all there is to be
> said about something is "It exists", and some very basic information
> about it, we should present it in the context of a more comprehensive
> article, not by itself.

Why? The reason we don't allow POV forks is straightforward - a POV
fork, by its nature, is an attempt to end-run NPOV. The problem with
them is that they are intended to be POV - and they do the job
masterfully. The archetypal example of what is wrong with POV forks
remains the festival of original research at [[2004 United States
presidential election controversy and irregularities]] and its ten
sub-articles.

No comparable problem exists with a stub on a minor New Zealand ski-
field. Yes, the information can (and should) be contained in other
articles. But if somebody types the name of the ski field into their
search box, there's no reason to dump them at [[List of New Zealand
ski fields]]. They want information on that specific topic, and to
date nobody has given a persuasive reason why they should be
redirected elsewhere.

-Phil