[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:40:50 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Just because people talkin' 'bout notability, doesn't mean they have a useful definition. But a 'private ski resort'? What does that even mean?

I'm not sure. There are definitely "public ski areas" in the world,
places owned by the government that allow anyone to ski, pretty much
like a park. But virtually every other ski resort is owned by a
corporation of some kind as far as I know. I'm not sure whether the
[[club skifield]]s in New Zealand would be considered "private" -
they're owned and run by non-profit organisations. Still private, I
guess.

I was thinking about this issue a little more, and realised that the
idea of a "non notable ski resort" is, frankly, stupid. Why do we not
want articles on non-notable garage bands? Because an encyclopaedia
that had an entry on every single band ever formed would not be
particularly interesting or valuable, compared to one that had an
entry on every band of some notability.

But an encyclopaedia with an entry on every single ski area in the
world? That would be great. There's just no reason to avoid entries on
minor ski resorts. There can't be an infinite number of them, as
there's a finite amount of skiable terrain in the world (ignoring ski
resorts in Dubai, Adelaide etc.) Just as we have articles on even the
least notable US presidents, it makes sense to have articles on even
the least notable ski resorts, because all ski resorts are inherently
interesting enough to warrant an article. IMHO.

In summary: Invincible Skifields is the least notable skifield in New
Zealand, and is worth an article anyway.

Steve