[WikiEN-l] You're magically made an admin. What do you do?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri May 11 22:31:08 UTC 2007

On 11/05/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:

> > I've seen a lot of "slam dunk" RFCs that proved to, er, not be. Tony
> > Sidaway got some great ones. I think Tony Sidaway 3 sets the record
> > for stupidest RFC I've seen on the wiki.

> But, see, I think that's part of the problem with RfC - where's the
> accountability?  In the two years plus I've been here, what has an RfC -
> or an ArbCom case, for that matter - done to curtail Tony Sidaway.  Hell,
> some people simply laugh it off, kinda like a Red Sox fan - "Manny being
> Manny"/"Tony being Tony."

Or perhaps he didn't do anything wrong, and that because you don't
like it just isn't sufficient.

> I think situations like that are where RfC is worthless, when something
> needs to be done and it won't happen because of this, that, or the other
> thing.

I think what it shows is that your assumption that where there's smoke
there MUST be fire is *not* correct, and that there is in fact good
reason to be profoundly sceptical of your proposals for setting up new
lynch mob mechanisms because you can't sufficiently punish these
offenders you refuse to name using the existing ones.

- d.