[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Fri May 11 06:17:50 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/07, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have supported the deletion of that article because there are no
> reliable
> > sources for this snowfields. It is a small ski-fields with no evidence
> given
> > of any notability. I looked and could find no independent sources. If
> there
> > are, add them to the article and I will reconsider my position.
>
> I agree that it is small and not well-known. However, as far as I
> know, our [[List of ski areas and resorts in New Zealand]] is
> comprehensive. If we delete that particular article, we will soon be
> in the awkward position of having an article on every skifield in New
> Zealand, except one, by choice. To put it differently, we will
> document every single permanent ski tow in New Zealand - except one.
>
> Ski.co.nz lists 25 skifields, including Invincible. We list 28, adding
> Mount Robert, Fox Peak and Tasman Glacier (another heli-ski only
> place, listed elsewhere on snow.co.oz). So it's not like there is some
> endless pool of ski areas we could add, if only we'd lower our
> standards.
>
> When you ask for "independent sources", is it because you're concerned
> that the information in the article is inaccurate, because your
> instinct tells you that that's how we know the topic is worth writing
> about, or because the heavily-disputed guideline known as Notability
> says so?
>
> Steve

Steve,

My feelings on the notability are based on my judgement rather than the
guidelines. It comes from a fairly long association with skifields over the
past 27 years of my life.

There are normally a range of ways a skifield or resort can be notable and
have reliable sources about it.

a) having permanent residents and communities of interest - most resorts
that I am aware of have both;

b) having had news reports, travel articles and ski magazines on it -
Thredbo in Australia has over 5,500 articles about it - (
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Thredbo&btnG=Search+Archives&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1)
and Perisher Valleyover 1,000 (
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Perisher+Valley&btnG=Search+Archives&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1
)

c) there are references to them in books and even books written about them -
a local historical society has written a history of Thredbo;

d) Olympic, World Cup, World Championship and Olympic trials in ski
events are held there;

e) they are significant geographical features in their own rights - the
Tasman Glacier is one of the largest glaciers in the Southern Hemisphere and
our article about that glacier focuses on that. [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasman_Glacier]

f) they are often in national parks or areas of conservation value and there
are government documents referring to that;

g) Bureaus of Meteorogy prepare weather forecasts for them and media outlets
run ski reports on conditions on the fields.

My judgement is that we need others to establish the notability of
something. In this instance, I cannot see anything from an independent third
party establishing the significance of this skifield. If there isn't it can
sit in the List of ski areas and resorts of New Zealand until we have
independent sources to write an article about it. We can have it as a
redirect to the List of ski areas and resorts of New Zealand.

I will go to the AfD discussion and suggest that.

Regards

*Keith Old*

Keith Old