[WikiEN-l] 17,268 badly referenced living biographies

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:50:19 UTC 2007

> Jonel's edits are 1 or 2 minutes apart. It's impossible to properly evaluate
> an article in that time.

Considering that the only way you can really remove a fact tag is by
going and looking for sources, I have to agree. Adding a source might
take only a couple of minutes, but removing the statement as unsourced
takes longer, since you need to try and fail to find a source. When
I'm removing fact tags I usually look at at least the first couple of
pages of a couple of google searches, reading any relevant pages,
before deciding that there are no obvious sources and removing it. (If
a piece of information cannot be easily found on google, then it is
obscure enough to require a proper source by anyone adding it.)

That would probably take me 5 to 10 minutes per statement. Of course,
if it's a particularly unlikely or derogatory statement, I might be a
little less tolerant and only look at the first page of one google
search and then remove it - if you're going to add something unlikely
or negative to an article, then burden is very much on your to provide
a source. (The burden is always on the person adding the information,
of course, but I'm a little more tolerant in other cases.)