[WikiEN-l] no-index certain BLPs??

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Sun May 6 18:21:51 UTC 2007

Michael Snow wrote:
> doc wrote:
>
>> 1) *no index bios on subject's request*. We keep the info, but the
>> subject doesn't have an article on them , with all the vandalism or
>> POV pushing risks, as top on google. They don't need to check their
>> article everyday.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 2) *no index all low-notability living-person bios* which have
>> experienced any problems. Any admin, or OTRS op seeing repeat problems
>> can flag it as such, reducing the collateral damage if their are
>> future issues.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 3) *no index ALL BLPs* - being in [[category:Living persons]] could
>> automatically flag the article. This would be easiest to maintain, and
>> apply consistently. The argument against it will be that it will take
>> [[George W. Bush]] etc off google, but if it were combined with stable
>> versions, so that all BLPs were removed from Google UNLESS they were
>> stable, we might have a workable solution. The popular ones are likely
>> to have stable versions very quickly. Incidentally, this would also
>> reduce the attraction of vanity bios.
>
> While I sympathize with the reasons for concern, I object to treating
> parts of the encyclopedia differently in this manner. Backroom stuff
> like articles for deletion, I would agree. But not the encyclopedia
> proper. If we have articles that we don't want search engines to index,
> we should *delete* those articles.
>
> The real answer is the increasingly urgent need to implement stable or
> reviewed versions of articles. In that context, it would certainly be
> possible to consider having a "noindex" attribute for articles that do
> not have any revision marked as having been reviewed.
>
> --Michael Snow

Asking because I really don't know:

If we were to nofollow significant portions of Wikipedia -- for
instance, all Biographies of Living People -- is it possible that Google
(or others) will simply ignore the nofollow in that case?

I understand that Google says that it doesn't "special case" things. But
  might this become a significant test of that policy?

-Rich