[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key and the spam blacklist

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sat May 5 18:19:01 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: The Cunctator
>> [mailto:cunctator at gmail.com] Sent:
>> Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:13 AM To: 'English Wikipedia' Subject: Re:
>> [WikiEN-l] HD DVD key and the spam blacklist
>>
>> On 5/2/07, Anthony
>> <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>> So who are they accountable to, no one?  Isn't obviously
>>> problematic that people can unilaterally make such major decisions
>>> with neither the request of the foundation nor the community?
>> Yes.
>
> There is a choice to make. Do you want people in positions of authority
> to take responsibility and do what needs to be done, or do you take the
> position that such actions cannot be taken until consensus is reached?
>
> I'm for responsibility. Mistakes can be sorted out at leisure.

Accountability is not about delaying decisions, it's about review, and the
ability to correct or punish errors. From the Collaborative Dictionary of
English:

  Accountability \Ac*count`a*bil"i*ty\, n.
     The state of being accountable; liability to be called on to
     render an account; the obligation to bear the consequences
     for failure to perform as expected; accountableness.

Sysadmins are accountable, see my other post in this thread.

-- Tim Starling