[WikiEN-l] Soft deletion redux

Ron Ritzman ritzman at gmail.com
Thu May 3 23:55:10 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I've simplified my earlier proposal of soft deletion and reduced its
> applicability to the AfD process. In a nutshell, under this policy,
> any non-admin would be permitted to pseudo-delete certain articles in
> a reversible fashion, leaving the history intact and viewable:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Soft_deletion

To expand on the idea, "soft deleted" articles could go to a "deleted"
namespace which would be made uncrawlable by search engines. The only
way to get to a soft deleted article would be to know its name, follow
a link from an xfd discussion or specify the "deleted" namespace in an
internal search. The "deleted" namespace would also be good for
articles temporarily restored for DRV discussions.