[WikiEN-l] Administrator flameout: Naconkantari

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:54:32 UTC 2007

On 02/05/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Time out.  If an uninvolved admin, who doesn't even KNOW about the
> cliques, feels that there were blocks warranted, maybe just maybe
> there's fire under all the smoke.
> Naconkantari's flameout seems to have mistargeted and caused some
> secondary problems.  But ... maybe we DO need to block everyone
> legitimately involved for 24 hrs next time.
> Everyone outside all the cliques is treating clique insiders as too
> hot to handle.  That's really bad.  Everyone can make mistakes.  If I
> go off on a tear and rampage around insulting people for a bit, and a
> random admin whacks me with a pay-attention block, I don't want
> friends from here or unblock-en-L unblocking me just because they know
> me.

I've emailed the arbcom pointing out precisely this, and that they in
fact made the mess by completely fumbling it late last year: they
expressly gave one editor a free pass for vicious personal attacks and
expressly marked another editor as fair game henceforth. Ignoring it
hasn't made it go away.

- d.