[WikiEN-l] Administrator flameout: Naconkantari

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:35:20 UTC 2007

Very good points made, I do believe. There shouldn't be -anyone-
untouchable. We should certainly forgive an occasional loss of temper,
but for my part, if anyone (up to and including Jimbo) starts flaming
the hell out of someone and won't quit after being warned, I'll
happily block them. And if that person was indeed out of line, it
would most certainly be my expectation that the block would be left
alone.

Seraphimblade

On 5/1/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing which both interests and concerns me:
>
> Relatively new-ish admin, not only not in the usual cliques but to
> some degree unaware of them, blocks one of the principals in this
> tempest in a teapot for recent actions seen as uncivil.  This is then
> responded to along the lines of just more fuel on the fire from the
> usual suspects.
>
> Time out.  If an uninvolved admin, who doesn't even KNOW about the
> cliques, feels that there were blocks warranted, maybe just maybe
> there's fire under all the smoke.
>
> Naconkantari's flameout seems to have mistargeted and caused some
> secondary problems.  But ... maybe we DO need to block everyone
> legitimately involved for 24 hrs next time.
>
> Everyone outside all the cliques is treating clique insiders as too
> hot to handle.  That's really bad.  Everyone can make mistakes.  If I
> go off on a tear and rampage around insulting people for a bit, and a
> random admin whacks me with a pay-attention block, I don't want
> friends from here or unblock-en-L unblocking me just because they know
> me.
>
> Maybe if party X who has it in for party Y blocks Y, that's something
> worthy of closer review, but if uninvolved admin Z does it then let's
> let it all stand.
>

> --
> -george william herbert
> george.herbert at gmail.com

Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.