[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key mess - OFFICE/Foundation?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Thu May 3 00:46:53 UTC 2007

I agree, we should probably title the article "HD-DVD encryption"
"HD-DVD decryption discovery", or something of the like. (Though the
number should be a redirect, it's not inconceivable someone would see
it and paste it into the search box.) But I don't think anyone, with a
straight (virtual) face, can say that this is not a notable event
which will not have a place in the encyclopedia. I'm all for "we're
not a newspaper". But we certainly had articles on the Virginia Tech
massacre shortly after it occurred, because it was patently obvious
that it was a notable event that was most certainly going to call for
an article. The same applies here. Now, must we wait on, and work
from, reliable sources which report on it? Absolutely, and Slashdot
and Digg don't fit that bill. But when they do, we ought to have the
article, and it ought to include information relevant to the
situation-including the number.

> On 03/05/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Tell me this, please. Is there *anyone* in the world who would walk up
> > to a friend and say - hey did you hear the news about [string of hex
> > digits]?
>

> This is precisely why the analogous DVD key article is called [[Illegal prime]].
>

> - d.

Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.