[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key mess - OFFICE/Foundation?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed May 2 13:59:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Zscout370#HD_DVD_Key
>
> "Regardless if it is popular or not, we cannot host the key on here and the
> Foundation has asked us to remove it on sight.
> User:Zscout370<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zscout370>
> *(Return Fire)* 03:57, 2 May 2007 (UTC)"
>
> Did the WMF take that official stance? Where, if I missed it? The specific
> number/value I don't believe can be even copyrighted in the United States.
>
> Keep in mind that the hex/number itself is now notable.

I was under the impression that the process by which the "Foundation [asks] us
to remove it on sight" is a WP:OFFICE action.  There certainly doesn't seem
to be one listed on [[WP:OFFICE]]; and nobody has claimed there is one; I must
conclude that the Foundation has not asked us to remove it on sight.

It's entirely possible, of course, that someone at the Foundation made an
informal request to remove an article.  Obeying such requests, I would
suggest, is a bad idea.