[WikiEN-l] Wikicharts

C.J. Croy cjcroy at gmail.com
Wed May 2 06:52:38 UTC 2007

-I don't find searches for 'Wiki' odd at all.  Most of the people
searching are probably interested in the entymology.  It's not like we
called it 'Quickipedia' or 'Upedia'.

-My guess is that no-one's interested in reading about the Iraq War
because we don't see any possibility of enlightenment from the
article.  The other articles cover parts of history most living people
don't know much about.  I, personally, know almost nothing about WW1
past the broadest of strokes, so I may just sit down and read the WW1
articles sometime.
 -Alternative hypothesis: Many, many people use Wiki for homework help
and not many schools have added Iraq to their curriculums.

-I have no idea why Naruto is so popular on Wikipedia, or really,
anywhere.  I will point out that it's the #4 search term on Lycos,
below only Poker, Paris Hilton, and Myspace, so it's not an
exclusively Wiki phenom.
http://www.animationinsider.net/article.php?articleID=856 The
preceding article says that Naruto is a relatively new Japanese import
that is very popular among kids.  Looking through the edit history,
the main Naruto received a few edits a month from May 2003 to
mid-March 2005.  Something happened and Naruto started receiving about
1-2 edits a day.  As the above-article aludes to, it began to show
here in the United States in late 2005, which is when the Wiki
article's popularity exploded and it began to be edited multiple times
per day.  Looking at it today, it would seem its popularity is waning.
 My guess is that 90% of the Naruto articles will be purged with such
highly informative deletion rationales as 'nn fancruft' some time in
2008-2009.

Related: In my Naruto-related searching, I stumbled across this
article. "What is popular on Wikipedia and why?"
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue12_4/spoerri2/