[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Mar 31 20:10:24 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:

>> On 31/03/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> To cut someone's head is to hurt them - this will heal.
>>>
>>> To decapitate someone is to harm them - this will not heal.
>>>

> on 3/31/07 1:24 PM, Oldak Quill at oldakquill at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> This is not a definition of harm I recognise.
>>

> It is, however, most precise.

Precise, but, by the dictionaries I have, inaccurate.

Perhaps while discussing things on a big mailing list you could stick
with the common definition of words? Or failing that, to warn people
when you're going to use an old word in a new way? It would save a lot
of this back-and-forth stuff, which doesn't seem to be advancing the
discussion much.

William