[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 16:07:38 UTC 2007

On 3/31/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> on 3/31/07 10:43 AM, Ken Arromdee at arromdee at rahul.net wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Marc Riddell wrote:
> >> This is in response to several recent posts. For the record, the
> concept of
> >> "do no harm" I was presenting to in WP was related to what information
> we,
> >> as editors, choose to include in biographies of persons. My point was
> that
> >> to consciously include gratuitous, tabloid-like junk in a biographical
> >> article is unnecessarily harmful to the person.
> >
> > "Do no harm" and "do no unnecessary harm" are *vastly* different.
> >
> Harm - in any form - no matter how it is phrased - should be unacceptable.
>
> Marc

If I'm not mistaken, there is a lot of bitterness in the Armenian community
about the Turkish genocide. Doesn't having an article about the Turkish
massacre of the Armenians harm the Turks by supporting the Armenian
bitterness against the Turks? Hell, doesn't having any article which
objectively states facts that aren't to the liking of somebody harm that
entity?

I still fail to see why "Do no harm" should be elevated to the status of a
pillar of WP, or above that. It's a good principle, but if it means throwing
out NPOV or accuracy, I know what I'd go with.

Johnleemk