[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 31 19:08:03 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I would like to know exactly what kind of lunatic would look up Angela's
> birth date in a hometown hospital register, and why we should let them
> edit Wikipedia rather than having a quiet debate about whether Angela's
> safety would be enhanced by reporting the person to the authorities.

Angela had previously publically posted her own birthdate herself, right
on Wikipedia, so it obviously wasn't something she was trying to keep
private. However, trying to use that as a source was rejected on the
basis of it being "self-published" and/or a "reference to Wikipedia", so
presumably the person who dug that up was merely trying to find
corroborating evidence from an alternate source that would be accepted.

IMO the rejection of the original "self-published" source was the
greater lunacy. If Angela were to have announced her birthday in an
interview that was published on some other site it would be no more or
less reliable, she could be lying in either event.