[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat Mar 31 14:37:57 UTC 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I would like to know exactly what kind of lunatic would look up Angela's
> birth date in a hometown hospital register, and why we should let them
> edit Wikipedia rather than having a quiet debate about whether Angela's
> safety would be enhanced by reporting the person to the authorities.

Some lunatic who believes what he has been told about Wikipedia rules, and
thus goes out and searches for a source?

Jimbo, this same argument can be applied in spades to the free images argument.
It's been pointed out many timesthat saying that it's "possible to get a free
image of" a person simply because they are alive encourages behavior that in
other contexts would be seen as stalking.

"I'd want to know what kind of lunatic would follow a person and
surreptitiously take a free picture of them, and why we should let them edit
Wikipedia rather than have them arrested".