[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Mar 31 12:30:44 UTC 2007

On 3/30/07, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I don't know Florida Law - but if my knowledge of UK law would say that
> if harm is a reasonably foreseeable consequence of an action, and it is
> reasonable to take steps to prevent it, then a failure to do so is
> culpable negligence. We know the harm, we could do something, but we don't.

In the US a negligence requires a [[duty of care]] in addition to the
conditions you outline.

It's also unclear what reasonable steps could be taken to prevent
these things from happening.  I guess biographies of living people
could be banned, but that doesn't seem reasonable.

On the other hand, it could be argued that it would be reasonable to
delete the article about Brandt, for instance.  So in some instances
of specific individuals that have complained to the Foundation about
their article, maybe you have a point.  But you'd still have to show a
[[duty of care]], and I'm not well versed enough in tort law to
discuss that part further.

Here's a hard-line rule that might satisfy the more risk-averse among
us, but still answer the question of "what if George Bush asks for his
article to be deleted".  Any article about a living person is removed
upon request unless that person has a biography in a major
encyclopedia.  ????

Anthony