[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Mar 31 00:39:51 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:
> What we should be asking is whether what we're doing is reasonable. Is
> it reasonable to host pages about living persons that can be edited by
> any anonymous person of any age in the world, when we have no clear
> way of patrolling those pages to make sure anything negative or unfair
> is removed immediately?

Is that the worry exactly? It seems like almost anybody who hosts
anything runs this risk. Geocities and MySpace are prominent examples.
Pretty much any wiki or low-budget hosting operation qualifies too.

I think the thing that's unique with Wikipedia is that there's a higher
expectation of quality. Ironically, this comes mainly because we have a
higher level of quality.

If we believe that it's hard to raise the floor of our BLP quality,
could we lower the expectation? For example, we could add a header on
every BLP article that makes clear what anybody on this list already knows.

William