[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Mar 30 06:52:57 UTC 2007

Stan Shebs wrote:
> Slim Virgin wrote:
>
>> On 3/29/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
>>

>>> It needs to be clear up and down the line that the arbitration committee will support people who remove unsourced information, as long as they are nice about it. But these things should never come to us, people who resist removal of unsourced information should be clued in long before it comes to that.
>>>

>> The other solution is to stop publishing biographies of living
>> persons, or at least to offer subjects deletion on request.
>>
>> By hosting living bios, and by inviting anyone in the world to edit
>> them, we're encouraging bad editing in a quantity we have no hope of
>> controlling.
>>

> Wouldn't really work though, because people would just add the
> problematic material in other articles. I don't have any bios on my
> watchlist these days, but still see additions of hearsay about celebs
> visiting cities and national parks, music video shoots in the desert,
> and the like.

Not to mention that incorrect information about living people is neither
the only nor the most damaging sort of incorrect information we can have
in our articles.  The potentially most damaging and inflammatory
information is generally incorrect allegations in articles relation to
nationalist disputes.  So, in addition to removing all biographies on
living people, I'd suggest we remove all biographies on currently active
disputes, recent wars, and of course currently extant countries, ethnic
groups, and religions.

-Mark